Developing Comprehension With State Standards
Instructing Phonics And Spelling With State Standards
Categories: 3 Credits, 4-5, 6-12, Facilitated, Gordon College, MidAmerica Nazarene University, PDPs, PreK — 3, Reading, Westfield State University
The ultimate goal of any reading program is not only for students to be able to read fluently, but more importantly to be able to comprehend what they are reading. The State Standards have set up a staircase of standards from kindergarten through 12th grade to prepare students for college and the work force. The standards have reexamined the way teachers approach comprehension instruction and text selection and what teachers will hope to achieve for their K-12 students in terms of benchmarks and background knowledge. In this course, you will be introduced to some approaches for comprehension instruction and assessment, as well as be introduced to some technology tools to help you teach. By the end of the course, you will have completed a set of plans for comprehension instruction in your K-12 classroom.
Goals and Objectives
This course will enable participants to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of comprehension instruction and how this connects to literacy development;
- Demonstrate an understanding how deep background knowledge plays a big role in comprehension;
- Become familiar with the State Standards as they relate to reading comprehension;
- Learn how to create an interactive activity that supports children’s reading comprehension;
- Plan for an integrated and meaningful curriculum that supports children’s language and literacy development in alignment with the State standards.
7-week course divided into one-week sessions
- Each session includes readings, activities, online discussion forums, and assignments;
- The time for completing each weekly session is estimated to be 6-8 hours;
- Total hours to complete course is about 72 hours;
- All resources are embedded in the course;
- A cumulative course assessment product is completed throughout the course.
Each course has the option to be taken for content learning only or for graduate credit. If you choose the graduate credit option you will pay the university directly for the graduate credit processing fee. Graduate course credit fees range. You will be provided the link to register for credit directly through the university once you complete the purchase for the course content through CLOI’s website.
This course is for educators to provide them with an understanding of phonics, spelling instruction, and appropriate approaches for promoting phonics skills. Participants are expected to have regular access to computers and proficiency with email and current Web browsers.
|Credit Offering Institutes’ Information||Once you have completed the registration, which includes paying CLOI’s courses fees, you will be provided information to register and pay for the graduate credits or PDPs.|
Credit offering institute fees*:
•Gordon College: $75 per credit plus $50 registration fee
•Westfield State University: $300 for 3 graduate credits and $125 for 36 PDPs
•MidAmerica Nazarene University: $205 for 3
*Credit card processing charges, if applicable, are not included.