Integrating The Five Core Reading Components With State Standards F-INT-0120
Reading is one of the most important skills a student will learn in his or her academic career. Having the tools to be a successful reader has been linked to increased self-confidence, a greater motivation to learn, and increased success across all academic subjects. While there is no quick and easy path to achieve reading proficiency, research indicates that there are five core areas that teachers should focus on for effective reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency. In this course, participants will explore how all of these core areas function together, with a particular emphasis on assessment and how State Standards support these skills. As a Cumulative Course Assessment Product (CCAP) for this course, participants will develop a multidisciplinary, integrated reading unit aligned with the standards and complete with plans for incorporating technology.
Goals and Objectives
This course will enable participants to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the five essential components of reading: phonemic awareness, phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency;
- Become familiar with State Standards as they relate to reading skills;
- Demonstrate critical analysis and self-reflective skills;
- Incorporate technology into lesson plans; and
- Create a multidisciplinary unit to teach reading using all five reading skills.
7-week course divided into one-week sessions
- Each session includes readings, activities, online discussion forums, and assignments;
- The time for completing each weekly session is estimated to be 6-8 hours;
- Total hours to complete course is about 72 hours;
- All resources are embedded in the course;
- A cumulative course assessment product is completed throughout the course.
Each course has the option to be taken for content learning only or for graduate credit. If you choose the graduate credit option you will pay the university directly for the graduate credit processing fee. Graduate course credit fees range. You will be provided the link to register for credit directly through the university once you complete the purchase for the course content through CLOI’s website.
This course is for educators to provide them with an understanding of phonics, spelling instruction, and appropriate approaches for promoting phonics skills. Participants are expected to have regular access to computers and proficiency with email and current Web browsers.
Integrating the Five Core Reading Components with State Standards
Building Vocabulary with State Standards
Instructing Phonics and Spelling with State Standards
Developing Comprehension with State Standards F-COM-0120