Phonics is a key component in reading success. Phonics is the understanding that there is a systematic and predictable relationship between phonemes and graphemes, the letters that represent those sounds in written language.
In the Instructing Phonics and Spelling with State Standards course, teachers will learn about the importance of direct phonics instruction as a part of a complete literacy program for all students. Participants will be introduced to various approaches to phonics instruction, Web 2.0 tools to help them teach phonics effectively, and strategies to remediate phonics instruction for struggling readers. Throughout the course teachers will engage in a series of readings, activities, videos, and assessments, Course participants will complete a job-embedded action plan by the end of the course detailing how they will incorporate direct and systematic phonics instruction into their classrooms.
Goals and Objectives
This course will enable participants to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of phonics and how this connects to literacy development;
- Identify the difference between phonics and phonemic awareness;
- Understand how phonics and phonemic awareness work together to create strong readers;
- Become familiar with the state standards as they relate to literacy;
- Learn how to create an interactive activity that supports children’s phonics development;
- Plan for an integrated and meaningful curriculum that supports children’s language and literacy development in alignment with state standards.
7-week course divided into one-week sessions
- Each session includes readings, activities, online discussion forums, and assignments;
- The time for completing each weekly session is estimated to be 6-8 hours;
- Total hours to complete course is about 72 hours;
- All resources are embedded in the course;
- A cumulative course assessment product is completed throughout the course.
Each course has the option to be taken for content learning only or for graduate credit. If you choose the graduate credit option you will pay the university directly for the graduate credit processing fee. Graduate course credit fees range. You will be provided the link to register for credit directly through the university once you complete the purchase for the course content through CLOI’s website.
This course is for educators to provide them with an understanding of phonics, spelling instruction, and appropriate approaches for promoting phonics skills. Participants are expected to have regular access to computers and proficiency with email and current Web browsers.